Sunday, December 2, 2007

Drums @ The Mansion

Today we put down drums for two more songs. We were working upstairs from the practice space today in a room with lots of *good* reflective surfaces for once. I yanked out the fuse assembly from one of my EQP1s so we could get the M76m working and holy cow, it sounds great. Multithousandsdollars great? I dunno. I'm keeping it, though. Savings be damned.

Both songs used more or less the same drumkit - Hunter's Mapex toms, which sound great, mix of Paiste and Zildjian brass (one track with his 14" New Beat hats the other with my 13" K-Hybrids.) Kick drum was (thanks, Erin) a 26" Gretsch with an unported resonant head. We put some Auralex foam inside it, ran a strip of cloth over the res head, and at one point I wedged a styrofoam coffee cup into the front head to control overtones. One track we used my '65 Ludwig Jazz Festival snare and the other then '70s Slinger Black Oyster.


No comments: